By Michele C. Hollow of Pet News and Views
Want to play a sweet trick on your kids or friends? Make a tray of vegan Sushi.
I brought a tray of Sushi into my son’s fifth grade class, and the kids immediately remarked, “Eewww, I won’t eat raw fish.”
We had to coax many of them to give it a try. The more adventurous ones immediately started laughing once they bit into one. This version of Sushi is made of Rice Krispies, vegan marshmallows, and fruit leather.
• 1/4 cup of butter substitute like Smart Balance
• 4 cups mini marshmallows (Marshmallows are not vegan or vegetarian, but the ones from Sweet and Sara are! Click here to go to their site: http://sweetandsara.com/
• 6 cups crisped rice cereal
• 1 to 2 boxes of fruit leather
• 8 strawberries, diced
• 1 kiwi, sliced like matchsticks
• Cookie sheet pan
1. Grease the cookie sheet.
2. Melt butter substitute in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat or in a microwave.
3. Zap the vegan marshmallows for 30 seconds at a time until they melt, and then mix vegan marshmallows with butter and rice cereal until the rice cereal is evenly coated.
4. Shape rice cereal mixture into round and rectangular sushi shapes.
5. In the center of the round sushi, place either a piece of diced strawberry or kiwi.
6. On top of the rectangular sushi, place a strip of strawberry or kiwi.
7. Wrap the fruit leather around the outer part of the round sushi.
8. Wrap the fruit leather around the center of the rectangular sushi, just over the fresh fruit.
9. Repeat assembling until you use up the mixture.
10. Place sushi on cookie sheet and allow to cool at room temperature.
11. Enjoy, and Happy April Fools Day.
My friends Judy Fridono and Ricochet the SURFice dog need to reach 100,000 “Likes” on their Facebook page. For every “Like” they get, food will be donated to animal shelters around the country. If you haven’t done so, please click here to be taken to their Facebook page.